Tuesday, August 16, 2011

One Cool Thing From The 1990s

Look, don't get me wrong -- I like FATE 3.0 juuuuuust fine.  It's a great use of FUDGE, and some might say an improvement upon its progenitor.

I will not argue, because I agree, really.

But still...

FUDGE, in its most basic form (like it was when I downloaded it from ftp.soda.berkeley.edu on that late Spring afternoon in 1994, on a NeXT computer at the IU Student Union) is --

-- look.  There's something to be said about a game that gives you a fully-playable character with no more effort and paperwork than this:


Name:
Sequinus Bwappfelshire
Occupation:
Wizard
FATE POINTS:
5
SKILLS


Conjuring
Good
+1
Knowledge (Planes)
Good
+1
Abjuration
Fair
0
Research
Fair
0
Tailoring
Fair
0
GIFTS & FAULTS


+
Wizardry
Can cast spells
+
Amulet of Planes-walking
User can cross planar thresholds 2 times per day
-
Perfectionist
Has a hard time accepting when a task is done, and keeps fiddling with it; Good (+1) or better Willpower roll to move on


Honest, man, it took me longer to figure out how to make OpenOffice Writer do the cool split-cells thing than it did for me to write this character up.

He's ready to get into trouble now -- thanks to FUDGE!