Sunday, May 06, 2007

I Must be Getting Serious; I Just Joined Dragonsfoot.

Every now and then, I haul out my AD&D 1st Edition stuff. I always said I'd never run it, but...

...that "every now and then" keeps getting more and more frequent.

Oddly, I'm finding it more and more enticing than d20.

I keep looking at it all and thinking, "Holy Cow, this game is so simple. So rich. So easy to fudge." One day, a basic realization penetrated even my dense and resistant mind: with the charts readily available on the DM's screen, players character sheets need contain little more than name, stats, class-relevant modifiers, AC, HP and names of weapons. I, sitting behind the screen, could easily run everything else for them.

And I'm really, really itching to run it.

I have more than enough to do so. Dungeon Master's Guide, Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, Monster Manual II, Unearthed Arcana, Greyhawk Adventures, Dungeoneer's Survival Guide, Legends & Lore and Unearthed Arcana. I have a couple of modules (White Plume Moutain, Tomb of Horrors, the Against The Giants series). As mentioned before, I have the old Forgotten Realms boxed set. I have the DM's Screen.

I haven't paid a dime for any of it; I've inherited it all, piecemeal.

Hmm. Maybe tonight...